Saturday, August 29, 2009

DAY - IX

Day-IX (22nd July ‘09)

Another easy day again and Khardung La was to be conquered again. Panamik was cancelled because none of us found any interest for the hot water spring. Thought for some shootout session in Sand dunes but was not in a mood to walk to an extended distance and also wanted to reach Leh ASAP.











Tso-moriri was the only thing striking in the mind and there was some confusion on Korzok-Pang route. I was not even sure that if that route exists or not, though one taxi driver assured me before that one can reach Pang via Tso-kar.
Anyways with these wired thoughts we started at 10.00 AM. Met 2 guys from South Africa after a kilometer from Diskit, who were out of petrol on their RE. And they were finding some problem in communicating with the local guys present there. After few enquiries a boy guided them to a shop in the main market where Petrol was available.







Then we started for Leh and with occasional Photo breaks we reached K Top at 1.30 PM. And to our surprise it started snowing. The weather was bad it was quite cold too. Omi ordered hot Maggie at the K Top Café and I was doing some cycling with a borrowed one. But got exhausted soon after adding some movement to that ‘0 Horse Power’ at such a high altitude.









Some Fact about Khardung La…




After 1 hour stay there we started. Stopped at India Gate for snap break and after it there was a continuous ride till Leh.









After descending from K Top, I was concerned for the rear sprocket of ‘Uni’. I realized that I did a mistake; I forgot when I changed the chain set of Uni last time!!! And it seems to be perfect for the ride to my eyes but it was not.
Then we went to Leh Palace directly as it closes at 6.00 PM. There is nothing much to see in the palace except the temple inside but the view of the Leh city is spectacular. But I liked the place very much.























Then dropped Om at the home stay and headed towards market to search the spare. But unfortunate, no spares for ‘Honda’. So just get every thing handy before hitting Len on your Honda. My experience was saying that I can ride for more than 1000 kms if I ride properly. Asked a local mechanic there in airport road and he also ensured the same and I got a bit relaxed.
While returning I found the dramatic cloud formation in the sky and the only thing striked to mind was ‘Santi Stupa’. Picked up the camera bag, tripod from room, Om preferred to stay at Changspa and I proceeded to Santi Stupa.
The view was really awesome and before taking out the camera I preferred to sit for a while and to enjoy it. And it a beautiful moment of my life, I was seated there for more than an hour and then returned back.















With Addy’s Sigma 70-300, I was carrying with me… Thanks again bro


Changspa is the place dominated by foreign tourists so every kind of facility is available here with a wide range of staying options and a wide variety of food.


Route – Hunder- Khardung La- Leh
Total distance covered - 142 Kilometers
Road condition – Leh-Hunder road remains close every Monday for maintenance, so one can expect better roads in initial days
Event of the day – Snow fall at K Top, Sunset from Santi Stupa, Dinner at Changspa
Important places – Diskit-Petrol is available with local shops.
Tourist interest points - Khardung La (World’s highest motor-able road), Hunder (Ladakh sand dunes & double humped camel), Panamik (Hot water spring), Diskit (monastery), Santi Stupa in Leh.
Precautions – Don’t underestimate the sand patches on tar road, drive slow on them. No ‘Honda’ spare parts at Leh.

2 comments:

A S R said...

but it's pleasure watching the hills through ur eyes ....

keep it up !!!

A S R said...

it's pleasure watching the hills through ur eyes ....

keep it up !!!